History - Parish Priests - Rectors and Vicars


Since the nuns of the priory of Hampole possessed the tythes and therefore the rectorship of the Church of St. Laurence, there were vicars rather than rectors up to the time of the Reformation. Records of clergy up to the 17th century are incomplete but such as have been discovered are listed below: 



Ralph

c.1241 "Vicar of Adwyc and then Rector of the house of Hanepol"
Thomas Gyll

1535
Robert Parkyn

c.1541-1569 (buried here 24 March)
Peter Skott

Chantry Priest (evicted at Reformation)
George Milner

c. 1546 Assistant to Parkyn then rector until 1587 (buried here 18 June)
Thomas Eccles

?-1612 (buried here 5 September)
William Wilkinson

c. 1616-1623 (buried here 10 June)
James Thompson

Dates uncertain but known before and after 1630-1653. Possibly 2 incumbents of same name.
Gamaliel Appleyard

1661-1664 (First to use Book of Common Prayer)
Edward Aerton

Plea to Archbishop of York to admit him to curacy 10 October 1664 signed by 22 inhabitants, Richard Washington being the first signature. Document at Borthwick Institute, York.
Gregory Weathrill

?-1667 (buried here 24 August)
Thomas Harrison

?-1680 (buried here October)
Joshua Brooke

1682 - 1721
Jonathan Beighton

1721 - 1731
Jospeh Leech

1731 - 1735
Sharington Bache

1736 - 1772
William Hedges

1772 - 1811
Henry S Milner

1811 - 1843
T M Symonds

1843 - 1859
Wilmot W Ware

1859 - 1875
T Bryer Hinde

1876 - 1880
H S Swithinbank

1883 - 1884
Ashley M Peek

1884 - 1887
C R Garnett-Botfield

1887 - 1894
E S de Courcy Ireland

1894 - 1905
Ernest E Farmer

1905 - 1922
M T Saunderson

1922 - 1930
B B Thompson

1931 - 1934
S A Taylor

1934 - 1947
J LL Murphy

1947 - 1954
D S Maddocks

1955 - 1960
J Morgan Jones

1960 - 1963
I Owen Jones

1963 - 1968
G A Slatterly

1968 - 1973
S L Rayner

1973 - 1985
R J Buckley

1985 - 1991
P A Ingram

1992 - 2005
Ann Beverley Walton

2006 -