Map of the local area
Church Layout

History - Early History


The name of the village has been subjected to various interpretations. The reference to "le street" indicates its proximity to the course of the old Roman road which connected Danum (Roman Doncaster) with Eboracum (York) and which now serves as the parish boundary on the north west.

The place-name Adwick is said to mean "Adda's dairy farm" or "Adda's working place." More recently it has been suggested that "wick" refers to Vicus (Hey), i.e. a Roman village and this is possibly supported by the discovery in 1968 of four burials, believed to belong to the period of Roman occupation, located in the vicinity of Lutterworth Drive.

 

Of particular interest is the curious orientation of the church 40 degrees to the east suggesting that it may indicate a site (like Cantley, St. Wilfrid) that had associations with pagan worship of a Romano-British population succeeded by Anglo-Saxon pagan worship. When, during the dark-ages, the Anglo-Saxon population was converted to Christianity, Pope Gregory urged sensitivity towards prevailing religious sites. The dedication to St. Laurence, a Roman Christian, also raises speculation regarding the ancient history of the site as a possible place of early Christian occupation.

The reference in the Domesday Book Survey, 1086, which is believed to relate to the village, states: "In Adewinc Sueen and Gluncier and Archil had six carucates of land to be taxed. Roger (de Busli) has now 2 ploughs there, and 12 villeins and 11 bordars with 5 ploughs and 9 acres of meadow and a small wood. Value in Edward's time 40s. now the same."

Fulk de Lisours held the manor as tenant of Roger, together with the manors of Frickley and Marr. No mention is made of a church here in the Domesday Book but as the survey was notoriously incomplete on ecclesiastical matters, it is possible that a place of worship existed at Adwick in Saxon times. Any such building is likely to have been of wood.

The traditional foundation date of the Norman Church is c.1150, during the troubled reign of King Stephen and within an era of feverish church building that included the priory at Hampole.