The North Aisle
The North Chapel
History - The North Aisle
It was always easier to make any required extensions to a church on its north side rather than the south since superstitions associated with the devil made it traditionally unacceptable to place burials in the shadow of the church.
The north aisle was erected some time early in the 14th century but the fabric we see now is due mainly to over-restoration in the 19th century.
The aisle is lit by four straight-headed windows in the perpendicular style, possibly Victorian copies of originals.
Beneath the small western-most window is located the north doorway which was sealed in 1835 (visible from outside).
The original purpose for the addition of this aisle is uncertain. The village population of the time would scarcely warrant extra accommodation and it is most unlikely, owing to its design, to have contained a chapel.
It is most probable that space was required for use as a route for processions associated with celebration of mass, particularly at Easter.